Yes it’s what we do. We moan about how it’s not a competition, but secretly we love getting out all the music that touched us, and playing it again, trying to work out if it touched us enough. This music here left welts.
Tradi-Mods Vs Rockers
– This album is a science experiment. New species of music is forming. Eye mixing Konono No 1 is one of those rare joys in music. But everything here without exception is amazing.
Ariel Pink’s Haunted Graffiti
– after years of fondling his 8 track, Ariel finally launches his big band AM radio opus. I still want to bash him, but I’ll dance with him and do some singalongs first.
Puta Madre Brothers
Queso Y Cojones
-our dirty mexicans come from Melbourne and sound like they recorded their album in their sweaty socks. It’s raw and transcendent and fun. Cheese and balls indeed.
I’m New Here
– Gil you’re so cheeky. Go on sample Kayne. It’s true, he owes you.
– surely it’s white man (and woman) funk. But it’s also scattered folk with a jig. Write it down on paper it can’t work.
– take as long as you like Cailan, 8 years is nothing if you’re going to make albums this classy.
Ali Farka Toure & Toumani Diabate
Ali and Tounami
– beautiful lyrical, yet sad because we know it’s over. An album to say goodbye to an amazing musician.
The Roots of Chicha 2:Psychedelic Cumbias From Peru
-Everything about this is great. It’s named after alcohol, there’s a bus on the cover and it’s jaunty funky folky genius from Peru. Drink up.
– Something in Neil’s brain snapped and he thought, fuck it I’ll make another great record. Daniel Lanois mucky fingerprints are all over this baby.
– A mixtape on steroids.